I think sometimes we are tested just to see what we’re made of. In the case of Mister Bubby, he’s been tested and that little man is full of heart and gumption! Last I wrote, we were waiting on results from a biopsy to determine whether or not my baby had cancer. Unfortunately, the results came back positive: he was diagnosed with stage 2 spindle cell sarcoma, which is a localized cancer and one that doesn’t metastasize (thank God). Upon receiving the results, I immediately made arrangements to meet with a surgeon who our vet referred us to.
I was highly impressed by the doctor and facility, but the means of getting rid of the cancer left me nonplussed. Amputation was the only way. After a tour of the operating and recovery room, I felt slightly better though; Mister Bub would have excellent care through this big surgery (three people in the operating room during surgery) and I would have 24 hour follow up advice via phone if I needed it post-op through both the surgery center and the emergency clinic associated with the surgery center.
I spent the weekend before surgery with my little lovey, taking him wherever I went and giving him his favorite treats of bacon and ice cream. Sunday evening rolled around and it was time to make the trek from Culpeper to Manassas, so I loaded him into the car with my Dad and off we went to the surgery center. Leaving him overnight was awful; he looked at me with a shocked face as if to say, “Ma, what…where are you going?!” If that experience was bad, the next day was pure torture as that was surgery day. The day dragged on and on and I was finally able to call and check on him at noon: Mister Bubby had made it through surgery just fine and was resting.
Tuesday rolled around and I was anxious to get the little man home to rest in the comfort of his own bed, so that afternoon, I drove up to pick him up. Seeing him for the first time was a shock, adorned with his little blue e-collar (or as I like to call them Cones of Shame) and his shaved hind end. We walked outside with a very sweet tech from the surgery center so she could so me how to use a sling on Bub so he would have an easier time walking. Much to my surprise, he walked (or rather, hopped) right out of the sling and hightailed it to the car, anxious to get home!
We were sent home with pain medication and an NSAID and my sweet boy took his medicine well, but I noticed that whenever I would dose him with the pain medicine, his heart rate would increase and he would start panting heavily. This only got worse over time and we made a hasty visit to the emergency clinic in Manassas again on Sunday. Mister Bub was given new paid meds, put on an antibiotic due to a fever and had staples put in to secure his incision as he somehow managed to pull out about three sutures. After a day at the clinic, we were free to go home!
I’m happy to report that Mr. Bubby is doing much better since the change in medicine and I believe we’ve turned a corner and he’s on the mend. He felt so good in fact that he spent some time outside with my Dad yesterday, hopping around in the grass, moving about easily with his tail wagging. He’s my trooper, my brave little boy and my miracle.
Now, the only hurdle we have to jump is getting more biopsy results. Our surgeon sent off Bubby’s leg to be biopsied where the leg was taken off to make sure that the area is free of cancer. If this comes back as cancer-free, then we are in good shape and cancer-free!
Here’s to the health and happiness of our constant companions and fur babies everywhere!